The SHPE Jr. Program aims to augment the success of high school students by providing scholarships, mentors, tutors, and other resources to overcome persistent educational barriers and encourage students to pursue areas in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
SHPE Jr. encourages and facilitates student attedance at academic summer camps, participation and competition in programs such as the National Science Bowl®, the SHPE Pre-College Symposia, local science fairs, and other engineering competitions. Through grants from the ACE Mini-Grant Program, SHPE college students and professionals are able to conduct activities with SHPE Jr. students.
SHPE Jr. Chapters belong to the SHPE Jr. Chapter Program, which requires high school students to enroll in the program and maintain a mimimum GPA to participate in related SHPE Jr. events and activities. SHPE Jr. Chapters can only be formally established in partnership with a local SHPE student chapter and/or SHPE professional chapter to be recognized.
The benefits to high school students include:
- Connection with engineering and science college students and professionals
- Additional consideration for the AHETEMS Scholarship Program
- Opportunity to attend the annual AHETEMS Pre-College Symposia
- Opportunity to participate in national science and engineering competitions
- Copy of the SHPE national magazine
- Access to discounts such as the College Loan Corp., and The Princeton Review
Please contact Anita Ramirez at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in starting a SHPE Jr. Chapter in your High School.